Jan 27, 2024
Pre-emergent season has arrived in Oklahoma! And the crowds cheer (O.K. maybe only in my head). But these pre-emergent applications are the back-bone to all weed control programs. Pre-emergents keep a lot of weeds from coming up in the Spring and early Summer.
When I am traveling out of state, I am often asked "WHY do some companies in Oklahoma spray the fake green or blue dye onto lawns? I normally laugh and explain that it is mainly a marketing technique to remind neighbors that it is time to get their lawn sprayed for pre-emergents. (I often relate it to how I used to keep the oven door cracked when I had the broil setting on. One year my grown daughter asked me why I had the oven door open. I laughed -- because my mother and grandmother always did it that way.)
At Irish Green Lawn Care we want to challenge the reasoning behind using green dye and give you some information on WHY Irish Green Lawn Care does NOT use dye.
1. A lot of our customers have pets. Take a look at the green dog below. While we know that brightly dyed hair is currently in style, we are assuming you aren’t necessarily wanting a bright green fur friend walking around in your house on your nice clean carpet.
2. Green dye has no benefit for your lawn or soil. Why apply green dye to the lawn when it adds no nutritional benefits and proves nothing except that green dye was put on your lawn.
3. Cracks in sidewalks and driveways. Our technicians spray the cracks in the sidewalks, driveways, and right up to the fence line. Additionally, we train our technicians to "trim around the edges of the lawn", where weeds often appear first. After all, the grass is supposed to be green, not your driveway!
Another popular question - "So if you aren’t using green dye, how can I know that you actually treated my lawn?” or “How does your technician know which areas he has sprayed and which he hasn’t?”
Each of our technicians are trained to notice the light natural tint of the treatment so that they can ensure that they’ve sprayed your entire yard. We also train them to see their own footprints in your lawn. When you spray lawns all day, it is easy to learn how to see what you have or have not treated.
However, we understand and want all of our customers to feel confident that their entire lawn has been treated and treated well. So we guarantee our services with a free service call, if it is ever needed. More specifically this time of year with our cold temps, after two weeks since your last treatment, you should be able to see the weeds curling or turning brown. But if you don't see this, we will gladly retreat those weeds and address your concerns at no charge. Oh..and our customers LOVE this new feature... after EVERY application, we will send you a quick email asking you to let us know if you're completely happy with each application!
For more information or to get on the SCHEDULE for Irish Green's Weed Control Service:
Call or email our office at
Sincerely, April Hodges
And the entire team at Irish Green Lawn Care
Mar 10, 2023
1st Step: 4 Pre and Post-emergents per year, applied fall and early winter, are the backbone to any weed control program
- Pre-emergents will keep many weeds (but not all) from coming up in the first place. Different chemicals are applied at different times of the year. Additionally, we modify are program each year based on many factors: issues with resistance to specific active ingredients, amounts of rain we have been receiving, and temperatures. Especially here in Central Oklahoma, one year can be quite different then previous years.
- Post-emergents are used to kill weeds that either there is no pre-emergent to keep them from coming up (dandelions, nutsedge) and/or weeds that have broken through the pre-emergent.
***We do NOT recommend that you use Round-up on your lawn EVER. There is a very small window of time that this is feasible. If you use round-up at the wrong time of year, you can seriously stunt the growth of your Bermuda and have big dead spots where even more weeds are more than happy to grow.
2nd Step: 3-4 fertilizer applications per year, with spot treatment of any summer weeds that come up, applied early spring to late summer.
3rd Step: Mow the lawn the same day every week.
- Mow with sharp blades
- Never remove more than 1/3 of blade of grass at any one time
- Recycle mowing clippings using a mulching mower
If you prefer higher mowing height:
If you prefer shorter mowing height:
4th Step: Once lawn comes out of dormancy, lawns need 1 inch of water per week.
- Best to water early in the morning. Our irrigation system starts at 5 a.m. But if you must water in the evening, water early enough so that grass has time to dry completely before dark, to prevent any issues with fungus.
- When watering your lawn, think long drinks of water, not frequent short sips. Deep watering encourages deep roots, which in turn helps plants to withstand heat stress, insects, and fungus.
Example, in the spring, water twice a week, 30 minutes per zone. Whereas in the heat of summer, when we are receiving little to no rain, we recommend that you water 30 minutes per zone, every other day. Watering the lawn for 10 minutes everyday encourages shallow roots that have a difficult time withstanding our Oklahoma heat
Please feel free to call the office at (405)-794-LAWN (5296) or send us a text at 405-300-5848 for any questions.
Irish Green Lawn Care, Inc
Text Message: 405-300-5848
Facebook Messenger: Irish Green Lawn Care, Inc.
LiveChat on our webpage: www.irishgreenlawncare.com